Fall Is a great time to change the water in your hot tub to prepare for using it this winter.
Generally, you want to completely drain and refill your hot tub every 3 to 6 months, depending on how often you use your hot tub. However, the look of your hot tub water may indicate changing it sooner. If you do not change your hot tub water at this interval, your chemicals will not perform properly, your alkalinity will run high, and in general its not an overly healthy body of water to sit in. It is also a good idea to change the hot tub water after a large group has used the hot tub. A rule of thumb is water is less expensive and less corrosive than chemicals so if your water is off it is always better to start with a fresh hot tub of water. Using high amounts of chemicals can be hard on your hot tub equipment and hot tub cover. Follow these simple instructions to return your hot tub to sparkling form.
1. Follow the specific instructions in your hot tub owners manual. If you don’t have a manual, call or stop by the store and Wally will help you. Not all tubs are the same. If you don’t have the owners manual, search online by the manufacturer and model number.
2. Turn off the power to the tub at the main circuit breaker. You don’t want your hot tub to run without water in it.
3. Locate the drain plug. The plug is at the bottom of the tub. Connect a garden hose to it and drain the tub. You can also siphen out the water using a garden hose. A submersible pump will drain the tub much faster.
4. Remove and clean the filter using a filter cleaner and garden hose or sprayer. If you have cleaned the filter with chemicals 2 or 3 times, it is probably time to invest in a new filter. Spas of Parker has a large inventory of filters. It is a good idea to buy a spare and alternate filters with quarterly water changes.
5. Clean the inside of the hot tub using a tub specific non foaming cleaner. We stock variety of hot tub cleaners. You also will need a non-abrasive cloth or soft brush to apply the cleaner. Make sure to thoroughly clean the inside of the filter housing. Don’t forget to clean the hot tub cover
6. Rinse out the hot tub thoroughly to remove any cleaner residue
7. Close the bottom drain valve and fill the tub with fresh water. Turn the power back on and run the tub at full power for 5 minutes to clear any air from the plumbing pipes
8. Use a water test strip and adjust the various chemical levels of the water.
At Spas of Parker, we stock a full line of the best chemicals and filters for your hot tub. During the month of October we are offering a 10% discount on all in stock filters and chemicals. We have many years of experience and can answer any maintenance questions you have.